Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 8

So now the engine has started, and sounds fine, it's time to look at what else needs to be done to get the bike back on the road. With a working engine, it's now worth spending some time and a little money fixing it.

Really I want to do as little as possible to get the bike safe to ride and through the MOT. so I will have a look at what the MOT checks are and make sure that it will pass all of those and check the brakes and suspension to make sure it's all safe.

okay,  maybe i want didn't want to look too closely. guess I need to make a (long) list of the things to do and not think about the entire job. okay, here is the simplest list I think I can get away with:

  • all of the brake calipers need a complete strip and refurbish.
  • the fork stanchions are really badly pitted, so need to be sorted and new fork oil seals and oil.
  • the chain has rusted into its current shape, so i'm thinking that it will need replacing along with the sprockets.

that's the basic list, but with each caliper taking at least a few hours to strip down and refurbish that's still going to take me a few weeks (as I don't have that much time to dedicate to this project) the stanchions will cost a fortune to either re-chrome or replace, so I might look into second hand ones.

and of course i need to remember to do things in the correct order to make it easier. so before removing the rear caliper, it's worth undoing the front sprocket (too late). I could have used the chain over the rear sprocket to hold the front sprocket whilst undoing it, but I removed the rear caliper before remembering that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a...

Project Z750 part 27

Well, some good news. the headlights didn't need fixing. they were working all along. My wife helped me diagnose the problem. It was a really tricky one too. She suggested I try the headlights with the engine running, which I knew wasn't going to work as my other bike's headlight comes on when I turn on the ignition, but I thought I'd humour her. So, ignition on and press the starter. Oh crap. nothing. I turn the ignition off and on again (I know it's not a computer, I was listening for the fuel pump) all was quiet. no fuel pump. Here we go again. Tank off again. I feel like I'm going backwards here. I put a battery directly to the fuel pump. whoops, should have put a cloth underneath the fuel hose first. But i don't care about a little spilt fuel. the pump works. So it's the wiring (again). My wife suggested I try the pairs of alarm wires (which again, I knew wouldn't help as they were fine). I wonder if I'll ever learn ...

Creating a Watch Face for Android Wear OS 2

Step 1 - Setup my watch for development I have wanted to create a watch face for android wear for a while, but as no new watches were being released my old Moto 360 watch running wear os 1.0 got out of date and I stopped using it. For Christmas 2018 I got a new wear os watch running wear os 2.2 (android os 8.0.0). it has a round 400 x 400 screen and I decided to finally get round to creating myself a custom watch face for it. The first thing I do with all my android devices is to enable developer options. if you don't know how to do that then you can find the method using a google search. I won't give it hear as it opens up all sorts of options that could make android become slow/unusable. Once I had developer options enabled, I turned on USB debugging. This watch (as opposed to my old Moto 360) has a USB connection to the computer, so I don't have to use WiFi debugging (which has to be set up for each debugging session). now on to the watch face creation. St...