Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 9


with the rear caliper removed I got it on the bench and worked out how to remove the brake pad pin, there is an r clip on the inside edge to stop it falling out. so after removing what was left of the r clip (I didn't see it at first as it was covered in goop and the pin has a hex head which made me think it was screwed in, so I turned it and turned it, and then noticed a bit of metal sticking out, which made me look a little closer and then I spotted the pin), the pad pin came out easily then, and I took the brake pads out. this was when I remembered that I was supposed to get the piston out using the hydraulics, which doesn't happen after you've disconnected them (strangely enough). I got lucky though and the banjo bolt was placed directly in the middle back of the piston, so I removed the banjo bolt, found a hex key of just the right size to fit the hole, and gently tapped the piston out.

the piston came out and was very shiny. except for the end which had about 3 mm of crud built up on it. so, after looking at some how to videos on youtube,  I got a nice flat piece of wood, laid a t-shirt on it, found some chrome polish and set to work polishing off the crud. boy it takes some time and hard work (if you've let it build up like this) unfortunatelyIi didn't have much polish left, so I made start and then had to leave it while I waited for more polish to arrive. but I could already see that the piston wasn't damaged and would (with a lot of elbow grease) clean up and be fine. I kept getting tempted to scrape the crud off but reminded myself that if I scratched the chrome I would need to buy a new piston at £20, just because I had been impatient. so no more polishing until I get some more polish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a...

Creating a Watch Face for Android Wear OS 2

Step 1 - Setup my watch for development I have wanted to create a watch face for android wear for a while, but as no new watches were being released my old Moto 360 watch running wear os 1.0 got out of date and I stopped using it. For Christmas 2018 I got a new wear os watch running wear os 2.2 (android os 8.0.0). it has a round 400 x 400 screen and I decided to finally get round to creating myself a custom watch face for it. The first thing I do with all my android devices is to enable developer options. if you don't know how to do that then you can find the method using a google search. I won't give it hear as it opens up all sorts of options that could make android become slow/unusable. Once I had developer options enabled, I turned on USB debugging. This watch (as opposed to my old Moto 360) has a USB connection to the computer, so I don't have to use WiFi debugging (which has to be set up for each debugging session). now on to the watch face creation. St...

Project Z750 part 27

Well, some good news. the headlights didn't need fixing. they were working all along. My wife helped me diagnose the problem. It was a really tricky one too. She suggested I try the headlights with the engine running, which I knew wasn't going to work as my other bike's headlight comes on when I turn on the ignition, but I thought I'd humour her. So, ignition on and press the starter. Oh crap. nothing. I turn the ignition off and on again (I know it's not a computer, I was listening for the fuel pump) all was quiet. no fuel pump. Here we go again. Tank off again. I feel like I'm going backwards here. I put a battery directly to the fuel pump. whoops, should have put a cloth underneath the fuel hose first. But i don't care about a little spilt fuel. the pump works. So it's the wiring (again). My wife suggested I try the pairs of alarm wires (which again, I knew wouldn't help as they were fine). I wonder if I'll ever learn ...