Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 25

Once the fork legs were at the bike shop, I decided that I could clean the front wheel and front end. At least it would be a clean incomplete bike.

I also put four new LED indicators on. The rear indicators had been broken off by our dogs running round while the bike was sitting, and the indicators that I had were LED whilst the original's were filament bulbs, so I put new indicators on the back and changed the front indicators for the new LED ones.

Once all four indicators were on. I put the key in the ignition and tried the left hand side. Ohhhh, not sure if that's right, but all four indicators are now flashing. I tried the right side indicators with the same effect. I looked for a hazard warning lights switch. Nope this bike doesn't have hazards.

which means something has gone wrong with the wiring. I guessed that the alarm wiring (which used to flash the indicators) needs looking at.

By now there are only two pairs of wires left that I'm not sure of the purpose. so I try each pair at a time with them connected and separate.

Yes, I found a combination that fixed the indicators, so I now have left and right side indicators working as they should. Well nearly. they are flashing too fast, so I need to order a new flasher relay, but that's easy.

Once the indicators were sorted, I finished grinding off the captive bolts from the fairing mounting bracket that I'd had used the dremel on, so that I could use normal bolts in place of the now non threaded rods.

Once I had sanded the mounting plate I gave it a coat of hammerite to help protect it from the elements, and put it back on the bike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a...

Project Z750 part 27

Well, some good news. the headlights didn't need fixing. they were working all along. My wife helped me diagnose the problem. It was a really tricky one too. She suggested I try the headlights with the engine running, which I knew wasn't going to work as my other bike's headlight comes on when I turn on the ignition, but I thought I'd humour her. So, ignition on and press the starter. Oh crap. nothing. I turn the ignition off and on again (I know it's not a computer, I was listening for the fuel pump) all was quiet. no fuel pump. Here we go again. Tank off again. I feel like I'm going backwards here. I put a battery directly to the fuel pump. whoops, should have put a cloth underneath the fuel hose first. But i don't care about a little spilt fuel. the pump works. So it's the wiring (again). My wife suggested I try the pairs of alarm wires (which again, I knew wouldn't help as they were fine). I wonder if I'll ever learn ...

Project Z750 part 8

So now the engine has started, and sounds fine, it's time to look at what else needs to be done to get the bike back on the road. With a working engine, it's now worth spending some time and a little money fixing it. Really I want to do as little as possible to get the bike safe to ride and through the MOT. so I will have a look at what the MOT checks are and make sure that it will pass all of those and check the brakes and suspension to make sure it's all safe. okay,  maybe i want didn't want to look too closely. guess I need to make a (long) list of the things to do and not think about the entire job. okay, here is the simplest list I think I can get away with: all of the brake calipers need a complete strip and refurbish. the fork stanchions are really badly pitted, so need to be sorted and new fork oil seals and oil. the chain has rusted into its current shape, so i'm thinking that it will need replacing along with the sprockets. that's the ...