Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 22

So, on to the last front brake caliper. It needs a wash to get rid of some bicarbonate of soda from where I tried blasting it. Easy enough, just let it soak in a tub of water and wash it over thoroughly. then leave it for a day to dry.

Once it had dried, I started to put the oil seals in. one of the piston oil seals went in easily enough with a bit of fiddling, but the other just didnt want to go.

eventually, I tool the seal out and had a good look at the channel that it sits in, and realised that I hadn't cleaned it out enough. there was still some old road salt in there.

I used an old chopstick to scrape the crap out of the channel. I use a bit of wood as it shouldn't be so tough as to scratch the surface, but should be strong enough to scrape the dirt out.

once I had scrapped the dirt out, I gave it a good wash in brake cleaner, and then tried the oil seal again. This time it went in with just a little bit of fiddling. the dust seals went in easily and then I used brake fluid again to lubricate the pistons and slid them in. I'm getting better at all this :)

the brake pads went on easily as I had already drilled out the hole to go over the caliper slider.

here are a few photos of the finished front brake calipers.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a...

Project Z750 part 27

Well, some good news. the headlights didn't need fixing. they were working all along. My wife helped me diagnose the problem. It was a really tricky one too. She suggested I try the headlights with the engine running, which I knew wasn't going to work as my other bike's headlight comes on when I turn on the ignition, but I thought I'd humour her. So, ignition on and press the starter. Oh crap. nothing. I turn the ignition off and on again (I know it's not a computer, I was listening for the fuel pump) all was quiet. no fuel pump. Here we go again. Tank off again. I feel like I'm going backwards here. I put a battery directly to the fuel pump. whoops, should have put a cloth underneath the fuel hose first. But i don't care about a little spilt fuel. the pump works. So it's the wiring (again). My wife suggested I try the pairs of alarm wires (which again, I knew wouldn't help as they were fine). I wonder if I'll ever learn ...

Project Z750 part 5

As my other bike was going in for service I decided to ask them their opinion on the fuel pump getting gummed up with fuel. they said that it's not common, and that the alarm is normally attached to multiple systems common ones being the fuel pump and the tip over sensor (as well as the kill switch) okay, so the next step is to put power to the fuel pump and see if it works. tank off again, up on the bench and create wires to go straight from a battery to the fuel pump connector. once the wires were ready, I attached the ground lead to the fuel pump connector and (making sure I didn't short the battery) touched the live battery wire to the other connector. viola power direct to the pump, but absolutely no sign of life, no humm, no vibration, nothing. okay, are the wires connecting properly? multi-meter from battery terminal to ground wire connection on tank. yep that connection is fine, no resistance. so switch the multi-meter to volts, ground multi-meter probe to same...