Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 24

With the the forks out, I can finally try to dismantle them and replace the seals and stanchions. So easy enough, just loosen the bottom bolt, then undo the top and take everything out. How hard can it be ?

well, that's a question I really should learn never, ever to ask myself.

I found an allen key that fit the fork bottom bolt. Then I clamped the fork on my workbench (using two pieces of wood so that the clamp didn't damage the fork leg). Okay, here goes. Allen key in bolt, breaker bar attached to allen key, and pull.

of course, by now, you know what happened. Nothing, nada. Well that isn't strictly true. the entire workbench was moving as I tried to get this bolt undone, so something was happening. Just not what I wanted.

I didn't try for too long as I didn't want to damage anything. This was a job for the professionals. I'll take the forks (and new stanchions and seals) to my regular bike shop, and get them to do the work.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a...

Project Z750 part 27

Well, some good news. the headlights didn't need fixing. they were working all along. My wife helped me diagnose the problem. It was a really tricky one too. She suggested I try the headlights with the engine running, which I knew wasn't going to work as my other bike's headlight comes on when I turn on the ignition, but I thought I'd humour her. So, ignition on and press the starter. Oh crap. nothing. I turn the ignition off and on again (I know it's not a computer, I was listening for the fuel pump) all was quiet. no fuel pump. Here we go again. Tank off again. I feel like I'm going backwards here. I put a battery directly to the fuel pump. whoops, should have put a cloth underneath the fuel hose first. But i don't care about a little spilt fuel. the pump works. So it's the wiring (again). My wife suggested I try the pairs of alarm wires (which again, I knew wouldn't help as they were fine). I wonder if I'll ever learn ...

Project Z750 part 5

As my other bike was going in for service I decided to ask them their opinion on the fuel pump getting gummed up with fuel. they said that it's not common, and that the alarm is normally attached to multiple systems common ones being the fuel pump and the tip over sensor (as well as the kill switch) okay, so the next step is to put power to the fuel pump and see if it works. tank off again, up on the bench and create wires to go straight from a battery to the fuel pump connector. once the wires were ready, I attached the ground lead to the fuel pump connector and (making sure I didn't short the battery) touched the live battery wire to the other connector. viola power direct to the pump, but absolutely no sign of life, no humm, no vibration, nothing. okay, are the wires connecting properly? multi-meter from battery terminal to ground wire connection on tank. yep that connection is fine, no resistance. so switch the multi-meter to volts, ground multi-meter probe to same...