Skip to main content

I'm a Triathlete (again)

So, I've finally done it. I'm a Triathlete again.

First a bit of background. In the 90's I used to work at Xerox in Hertfordshire. I used to run with the work club some lunchtimes, swim with friends on the other lunchtimes and cycle to work some days. Xerox had a small gym on site with a resident fitness instructor. Approximately every six months I would have a fitness test to see if I was getting fitter. it was a stationary bike test and they measured fat percent and blood pressure (probably a bit more, but it was a long time ago now). During one of these fitness tests the instructor asked what exercise I did, and told him, and he suggested that I have a go at triathlons.

So I looked for magazines (This was actually before Google. Yes there was a time before Google existed). I found a magazine called "220 Triathlon" and read through it to learn more about triathlon and look for races.

I'm not sure how I found out about it, but I was told about the "UK and Ireland Corporate Games". I had a look into it and found that it included a triathlon, so I entered. It was to be my first triathlon race.

When race day arrived I swam in the lake in a borrowed wet-suit (thank you Stephen Archer), did the cycle on my commuting bike (with rack still on the back of it)  and ran in my normal running gear. The one thing I remember about that triathlon is the number of cyclists that passed me and cheered me on (I guess they realised I was a novice).

With that, I was hooked. I joined a local club (Tri-Force Herts), and started specific training for triathlon. I went back to 220 magazine, flicked through the races and started entering more. I did quite a few (and even remembered to remove the rear rack from my bike to save weight)

Fast forward to 2000 and I moved from Hitchin to Bristol. The move to meant I couldn't do the races I was used to and didn't know where any were. I wasn't part of a club, I lost momentum, and stopped racing.

I did try to keep up with my fitness by running, but I didn't have the same motivation, and just didn't do much.

Fast forward (again) to 2017 and I've finally joined Bad Tri Club and started swimming with them. and I did my first race in a very long time yesterday. It was the North Bristol Triathlon.

The race went well, and I didn't feel shattered after it. I decided that I would go for a race with a 5K run as my knees can play up on runs and I wanted to see how they would do.

Well, my knees did fine and I really enjoyed the race. The marshalling was superb and at every junction on the cycle and run they were there to make sure you went in the right direction.

The whole race was brilliant and well organised, and I will definitely be back next year.

The swim was well organised and we were taken to poolside, given another small briefing and out timing chips. then the race was underway.

I have had some issues with my shoulder and was hoping I would remember to swim properly (as instructed by the Bad Tri coaches) as that puts a heap less pressure on it. I did remember to swim (I wont say properly) better than I used to and my shoulder was fine. I exited the pool feeling really great and followed the matting to transition.

I took my time getting on the bike and made sure I drank and did up my cycle helmet before grabbing my bike. I wheeled my bike to the mount line, I was off. I had read that there was a hill near the start, and with hills being my nemesis, I took it easy until I had found it. I managed to cycle up it and then it was mostly flat until we got to the descent. Again, as I didn't know the course, I took the descent easy, got to the bottom and turned right onto my second lap. As I knew where the hill was and how bad it was I took the first stage really easy and got to the hill, selected my lowest gear and tried to get up it again. This time I had to get off and push the final 10-15 meters (yes I got that close). I got to the top and remounted. Now that I knew the course and knew I was on my final lap, I felt I could try to go a bit faster and pushed myself a bit harder. I even took the descent a bit quicker (although that was a bit scary)

I got to the bottom of the descent and turned left to transition. All I had to do was changed from my cycle shoes to my running shoes and I was off. The start of the run didn't feel too bad as I had done a few runs off the bike in the weeks running up to the race, but for a 5K, it felt like the longest 5K I've ever done.

But I did finish and now I feel great. My one regret is that IO decided to get back into triathlon at the end of the season. I may have to wait until next year to do my next tri, but maybe I can do some biathlons in the meantime.

Hopefully, I'll start to lose a bit of weight and my knees will have an easier time on the runs. If I can run further, then maybe one day I can tackle a middle distance. But that will be a few years down the line I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does "Full Stack" mean?

I've been a software engineer for a little while and I see the term "Full Stack developer" more and more, but what does it mean? Okay, let's walk through what a complete system will comprise of and see if we can work it out. UI First (from the users perspective) is the UI. It's how they interact and really all they care about (as long as the application does what is expected of it. Here is a list of some UI technologies that I know of AWT Swing Qt Android XML MFC and VB OpenGl Vulkan Communication Protocol Next up is the communications protocol (as most applications these days are a thin UI talking to a backend server (we've gone back to the mainframe era!) RPC FTP SNMP SMTP DDS ActiveMq/RabbitMq Network Layer The communications protocol has to be transported between the client and the server somehow, so here we have the network layer IPX/SPX Token Ring Bluetooth USB Server So now we have data being transferred between t

Triathlon Training in the new year

So, my 2019 training has got off to a good start. I'm running regularly and my knees seem to be holding up. I've got a training plan to get me to a middle distance triathlon in September and I am managing the run distances I have set myself. I need to find some longer cycling routes to work and ones with a few hills too, but that shouldn't be a problem. my weekly cycling distance is okay, I just need to move to get my ebike to be doing less of the work. last week I did use my normal commuter bicycle and managed the whole four days as well as my runs, so that was a really good sign. Swimming won't be an issue, I have always found that to be the easy part of a triathlon (not that I'm fast, but I can keep going, and I did manage to swim the distance within the cut off time when I tried the ironman 70.3 last time) The main worry about going longer is my knees. I've got a 10K booked in late January which will test my knees out and I'm hoping that they hold

Project Z750 part 36 - the finalle

I took the bike for a quick test ride round the block and it was fine. it actually cornered now that I had sorted out the tyre pressures. and the brakes all work. I gave the bike a quick look over and noticed that I hadn't marked the rear caliper bolts. (I mark each bolt when I tighten it up to the specified torque so that I can see if it loosens up. so if you look at my bikes you'll see white dots on a lot of the bolts.). As I hadn't marked it, I hadn't tightened it up fully, so I torqued it up and marked it. The bike shop I use managed to fit my in for an MOT before they went off to the Isle of Man Classic TT, so that morning, I got my gear on, wheeled the bike out of the garage, said a quick prayer (I'm not religious, but it can't hurt), and I then put my life in my own hands. I mean that even though I ride every day, I had never before done this much work on a bike. I'd changed braked pads, but never replaced the brake seals, and although I had tor