Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 29

So, I've got the fork legs back with the new stanchions, seals and oil. putting hem back onto the bike went easier than expected. I pushed one then the other through the yokes and lightly gripped them with the yoke bolts (making sure I could still move the forks up/down and twist so that I could adjust them as necessary).

Then I attached the mudguard. my reasoning was that it would make sure that both fork legs were the same height and rotated correctly (plus it had to be put on before the wheel anyway).

I then checked the top of the fork legs to make sure that they were the same height as before I took them off. I then put the wheel on which went on easily enough, but I can't torque it up as I don't have the right allen bits (more tools to order, oh dear!).

Once the wheel was on (which also reassured me that the forks were aligned correctly), I tightened all of the yoke bolts to the correct torque and dropped the bike off of the lift.

It's looking like a bike again, finally.

Next step was to attach the two front calipers and get some brake fluid into it.

Once I'd worked out which caliper went on which side of the wheel, I bolted them in place and attached the brake hoses. Next I filled up the master reservoir, attached a brake bleeder to one caliper, made sure all of the bleed nipples and hose connectors were tight and started bleeding the new fluid through the hoses.

it seemed to take forever to start getting any liquid out of the bleed nipple, but eventually, it started coming through. and yes, I did remember to keep topping up the reservoir (although it did get quite close to empty a few times).

once I'd got the fluid in one caliper, I moved to the other one and did the same. again, it was quite a while before liquid started coming through, but it did get there, and then I kept going until no more little bubbles were appearing out of the bleed nipple.

then I went back to the first caliper and bled it until no more bubbles appeared.

So, I'm done. Except that there was no bite to the brakes. OK, I tied the front brake lever in and left it overnight as this is supposed to allow any air trapped in the hose to flow up to the reservoir and be released when you release the lever.

Next morning, I untied the lever, and bled both calipers a few times. Still no bite at all. I could push the bike with the front brake applied and it would move.

So, off to the internet and after a bit of searching, I read some people saying that as the brake hose goes over the mudguard it can get air trapped in it (as the hose loop is higher than either caliper).

I also read that brake hoses should be changed after around four years, and as these ones were about ten years old, I decided to order a new set of hoses from HEL. the new hoses go from the master cylinder direct to each caliper, so removing the over the mudguard hose and the bleeding issue.

so another wait for parts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does "Full Stack" mean?

I've been a software engineer for a little while and I see the term "Full Stack developer" more and more, but what does it mean? Okay, let's walk through what a complete system will comprise of and see if we can work it out. UI First (from the users perspective) is the UI. It's how they interact and really all they care about (as long as the application does what is expected of it. Here is a list of some UI technologies that I know of AWT Swing Qt Android XML MFC and VB OpenGl Vulkan Communication Protocol Next up is the communications protocol (as most applications these days are a thin UI talking to a backend server (we've gone back to the mainframe era!) RPC FTP SNMP SMTP DDS ActiveMq/RabbitMq Network Layer The communications protocol has to be transported between the client and the server somehow, so here we have the network layer IPX/SPX Token Ring Bluetooth USB Server So now we have data being transferred between t

Triathlon Training in the new year

So, my 2019 training has got off to a good start. I'm running regularly and my knees seem to be holding up. I've got a training plan to get me to a middle distance triathlon in September and I am managing the run distances I have set myself. I need to find some longer cycling routes to work and ones with a few hills too, but that shouldn't be a problem. my weekly cycling distance is okay, I just need to move to get my ebike to be doing less of the work. last week I did use my normal commuter bicycle and managed the whole four days as well as my runs, so that was a really good sign. Swimming won't be an issue, I have always found that to be the easy part of a triathlon (not that I'm fast, but I can keep going, and I did manage to swim the distance within the cut off time when I tried the ironman 70.3 last time) The main worry about going longer is my knees. I've got a 10K booked in late January which will test my knees out and I'm hoping that they hold

Project Z750 part 36 - the finalle

I took the bike for a quick test ride round the block and it was fine. it actually cornered now that I had sorted out the tyre pressures. and the brakes all work. I gave the bike a quick look over and noticed that I hadn't marked the rear caliper bolts. (I mark each bolt when I tighten it up to the specified torque so that I can see if it loosens up. so if you look at my bikes you'll see white dots on a lot of the bolts.). As I hadn't marked it, I hadn't tightened it up fully, so I torqued it up and marked it. The bike shop I use managed to fit my in for an MOT before they went off to the Isle of Man Classic TT, so that morning, I got my gear on, wheeled the bike out of the garage, said a quick prayer (I'm not religious, but it can't hurt), and I then put my life in my own hands. I mean that even though I ride every day, I had never before done this much work on a bike. I'd changed braked pads, but never replaced the brake seals, and although I had tor