Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 35

So, I've swapped the CB750 and Z750 as the CB750 was up on the bench, but it is going to the bike shop to have a few things looked at.

so now that the Z750 is up on the bench I will change the oil (as the engine has now run I want to make sure I remove any gunk that the oil has flushed out of the engine) and I'll change the coolant.

The oil change went smoothly (so really, I should have been expecting trouble with the cooling system).

Reading through the haynes manual, Kawasaki seem to have put a lot of thought into building the Z750 to make it difficult for the home mechanic to do a coolant change.

The first instruction in the haynes manual is : Remove the fuel tank. What? why do I need to remove the fuel tank just to change the coolant? well, it's because instead of making the pressure cap (which is also used for topping up the coolant) easily accessible. it's underneath the fuel tank. right in the middle.

So fuel tank off (at least I'm getting used to removing it now) and pressure cap opened. Now to drain the system. My wife found me an old washing up bowl (no really, it was already old before I used it) to catch the coolant.

I undid the lower drain bolt (yes, there are two for some reason) only a trickle of coolant came out. The haynes manual then said to take out the upper drain bolt, so I moved the bowl under the second drain bolt and undid it. Of course what the haynes manual should have said is that the second drain bolt, isn't a drain bolt. it is more like a breather hole, so when I took it out, the coolant started shooting out of the lower brain hole and all over the garage floor. I quickly grabbed another container and managed to catch some of the coolant. Well at least I'll have a clean garage floor once I clean up the mess.

Once the system had drained, I put the bolts back in and poured the new coolant in. Of course it's not quite as easy as that. The haynes manual says that you next run the engine for two minutes then check the level of coolant.

So that means putting the tank on to run the engine (as it needs the fuel pump to pressurise the fuel system), and then taking it off to check the level under the pressure cap.

Nice design.

So, tank back on, I ran the engine for about two minutes. Then tank off again, wait for the engine to cool down, pressure cap off and check the coolant level. It actually looked fine and didn't need topping up.

So, now it's tank back on and ready for the MOT.

Oh, hang on, I haven't heard the radiator fan switch on yet. great something else is wrong. Sometimes I wonder if this bike just doesn't want to go back on the road.

I checked the haynes manual and it said that the fan should switch on between 93 and 103 degrees, so I ran the engine and let it get to 103 degrees (it actually displays the temperature on the instrument dial). No fan. great. I switched off the engine and just as I was heading back into the house, I heard the fan switch on (so I guess it needs to get a bit above 103 degrees, or at least be there for a little while).

Finally it's ready. Just a quick check of the lights and indicators .... The left side rear indicator isn't working now. See what I mean about the bike not wanting to get back on the road.

It was just a connector had come loose, so I replaced that and now all the lights work again.

Okay, so it's finally ready for an MOT. I'll book it in and hope that the gear lever loosens up with use by the time I get to the bike shop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does "Full Stack" mean?

I've been a software engineer for a little while and I see the term "Full Stack developer" more and more, but what does it mean? Okay, let's walk through what a complete system will comprise of and see if we can work it out. UI First (from the users perspective) is the UI. It's how they interact and really all they care about (as long as the application does what is expected of it. Here is a list of some UI technologies that I know of AWT Swing Qt Android XML MFC and VB OpenGl Vulkan Communication Protocol Next up is the communications protocol (as most applications these days are a thin UI talking to a backend server (we've gone back to the mainframe era!) RPC FTP SNMP SMTP DDS ActiveMq/RabbitMq Network Layer The communications protocol has to be transported between the client and the server somehow, so here we have the network layer IPX/SPX Token Ring Bluetooth USB Server So now we have data being transferred between t

Triathlon Training in the new year

So, my 2019 training has got off to a good start. I'm running regularly and my knees seem to be holding up. I've got a training plan to get me to a middle distance triathlon in September and I am managing the run distances I have set myself. I need to find some longer cycling routes to work and ones with a few hills too, but that shouldn't be a problem. my weekly cycling distance is okay, I just need to move to get my ebike to be doing less of the work. last week I did use my normal commuter bicycle and managed the whole four days as well as my runs, so that was a really good sign. Swimming won't be an issue, I have always found that to be the easy part of a triathlon (not that I'm fast, but I can keep going, and I did manage to swim the distance within the cut off time when I tried the ironman 70.3 last time) The main worry about going longer is my knees. I've got a 10K booked in late January which will test my knees out and I'm hoping that they hold

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a