Skip to main content

Wales 500 Post 2

Day -1 (of the rally)

So, tomorrow, Patrick and I will be riding up to set up our campsite ready for two days of (not quite off) roading.

I've got my camping gear packed, but I've been getting confused about how to pack things that I will want whilst riding vs stuff to leave at camp.
Then I realised that I've never done that before. whenever we've gone on a trip we've always stayed a night and then moved on to the next place. Only once have we set up and stayed in the same place for more than one night, and that was at Assen to watch the MotoGP.

Guess I'll get it sorted today. I think I've got everything I need, except a way to pump up my tyres if I have a puncture. I have a puncture repair kit, but no pump. hmmm, will have to think on that.

I think I will be taking a rucksack so that I can carry stuff out on the rides with me, but I may try to attach it to the back of the bike instead of wearing it as it might get too hot.

Today is wet and rainy, but I'm hoping that the ground on the routes will be dry by the time we are riding them on Saturday and Sunday.

well, I need to get on and check that the GPS has the routes in it and see how I'm going to fit everything on the bike.

I'll post Day 0/1/2 next week as I wont have a laptop with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does "Full Stack" mean?

I've been a software engineer for a little while and I see the term "Full Stack developer" more and more, but what does it mean? Okay, let's walk through what a complete system will comprise of and see if we can work it out. UI First (from the users perspective) is the UI. It's how they interact and really all they care about (as long as the application does what is expected of it. Here is a list of some UI technologies that I know of AWT Swing Qt Android XML MFC and VB OpenGl Vulkan Communication Protocol Next up is the communications protocol (as most applications these days are a thin UI talking to a backend server (we've gone back to the mainframe era!) RPC FTP SNMP SMTP DDS ActiveMq/RabbitMq Network Layer The communications protocol has to be transported between the client and the server somehow, so here we have the network layer IPX/SPX Token Ring Bluetooth USB Server So now we have data being transferred between t

Triathlon Training in the new year

So, my 2019 training has got off to a good start. I'm running regularly and my knees seem to be holding up. I've got a training plan to get me to a middle distance triathlon in September and I am managing the run distances I have set myself. I need to find some longer cycling routes to work and ones with a few hills too, but that shouldn't be a problem. my weekly cycling distance is okay, I just need to move to get my ebike to be doing less of the work. last week I did use my normal commuter bicycle and managed the whole four days as well as my runs, so that was a really good sign. Swimming won't be an issue, I have always found that to be the easy part of a triathlon (not that I'm fast, but I can keep going, and I did manage to swim the distance within the cut off time when I tried the ironman 70.3 last time) The main worry about going longer is my knees. I've got a 10K booked in late January which will test my knees out and I'm hoping that they hold

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a