Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 6

So I go looking for other fuel pump suppliers to see if I can get one cheaper. nope, they really do want to charge £500 for a simple fuel pump. well, as the bike is currently scrap (the engine could still be a non-runner) there is no way I'm going to spend that sort of money to see if it will run.

searching on eBay, I find quite a few pumps for around £80-£100. that's better, but still a lot of money to spend on a piles of bits that I don't know works. a bit later and I find a pump for much less, only £20. that will be okay, so I buy it. just got to wait for it to arrive now.

while waiting I realise that I need to remove the old pump from the tank, and before I do that I will need to empty the tank, so I siphon the fuel out and loosen the bolts on the pump (with a lot of help from good ole WD-40). now just waiting for the new pump.

surprisingly, the fuel pump arrived almost a week before it was due. ohhh, exciting times. by now I've loosened all of the old fuel pump bolts, but before I install the new pump into the tank, I'll attach a battery to it, just to see if it works. so I use the wires that I created to test the old pump, and attach the ground wire again. Keeping my fingers crossed, I touch the live wire to the new fuel pumps live connector terminal and it buzzes into life. wow, that's really good news.

so now I undo all of the bolts from the old pump, remove it from the tank (being careful as I've heard that they are quite delicate and I don't want anything to break off in the tank. I put the new pump into the tank and tighten most of the bolts to the correct torque setting (I cant reach two of them with the torque wrench, but i think they are okay).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a...

Creating a Watch Face for Android Wear OS 2

Step 1 - Setup my watch for development I have wanted to create a watch face for android wear for a while, but as no new watches were being released my old Moto 360 watch running wear os 1.0 got out of date and I stopped using it. For Christmas 2018 I got a new wear os watch running wear os 2.2 (android os 8.0.0). it has a round 400 x 400 screen and I decided to finally get round to creating myself a custom watch face for it. The first thing I do with all my android devices is to enable developer options. if you don't know how to do that then you can find the method using a google search. I won't give it hear as it opens up all sorts of options that could make android become slow/unusable. Once I had developer options enabled, I turned on USB debugging. This watch (as opposed to my old Moto 360) has a USB connection to the computer, so I don't have to use WiFi debugging (which has to be set up for each debugging session). now on to the watch face creation. St...

Project Z750 part 27

Well, some good news. the headlights didn't need fixing. they were working all along. My wife helped me diagnose the problem. It was a really tricky one too. She suggested I try the headlights with the engine running, which I knew wasn't going to work as my other bike's headlight comes on when I turn on the ignition, but I thought I'd humour her. So, ignition on and press the starter. Oh crap. nothing. I turn the ignition off and on again (I know it's not a computer, I was listening for the fuel pump) all was quiet. no fuel pump. Here we go again. Tank off again. I feel like I'm going backwards here. I put a battery directly to the fuel pump. whoops, should have put a cloth underneath the fuel hose first. But i don't care about a little spilt fuel. the pump works. So it's the wiring (again). My wife suggested I try the pairs of alarm wires (which again, I knew wouldn't help as they were fine). I wonder if I'll ever learn ...