Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 11

So, I thought loosening bolts ready to take things off would be a good idea? Right,

So now i look down and realise that I've loosened the front brake caliper bolts a little too much and I'm standing in a small pool of brake fluid. bugger. is there enough left to push the pistons out? guess i'll find out soon enough.

so i take the right hand caliper off the bike, remove the pad pin r-clip and pad pin. the pad come out and i press the brake lever. yes the pistons are moving out. now i know what your thinking, but no I didn't just push them all the way out. i put a small piece of wood in to keep the pistons in and moved onto the left hand caliper. same thing here, remove the pad pin r-clip, pad pin and pads. then pump the lever. oh fiddlesticks, not enough fluid left to move these pistons at all. great, not i have to get some brake fluid, fill it a bit just to get the pistons out.

I don't want to use any other fluid as it might contaminate the brake system, and I don't have an air compressor, so I guess i just have to sacrifice some brake fluid to remove the pistons.

having a dig round for something entirely unrelated to the ZR750 resurrection, i found i do have some more chrome polish. great I can now continue polishing the pistons. well i can once i get the front pistons out anyway.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Windows Subsystem for Linux Internals

Background Windows Subsystem for Linux was developed by Microsoft to enable command line programs compiled for the Linux operating system to be executed on Windows. To explain the architecture I would like to show the evolution of OS design and how that has enabled this subsystem to be built. Dark Ages (or Back in the Day) Microsoft's MS-DOS was quite primitive in its design (compared to today's OS's). It is a single user OS that can execute one process at a time. DOS had an application programming interface to allow user programs to access some hardware in a device independent way, but only for character-based applications. This allowed applications to display graphical elements emulated with text characters as these screenshots of Microsoft word for DOS show: This is Microsoft Word version 1. To use these programs you had to remember key combinations to bring up the menus and used the cursor keys to navigate around the screen. If the a...

Project Z750 part 27

Well, some good news. the headlights didn't need fixing. they were working all along. My wife helped me diagnose the problem. It was a really tricky one too. She suggested I try the headlights with the engine running, which I knew wasn't going to work as my other bike's headlight comes on when I turn on the ignition, but I thought I'd humour her. So, ignition on and press the starter. Oh crap. nothing. I turn the ignition off and on again (I know it's not a computer, I was listening for the fuel pump) all was quiet. no fuel pump. Here we go again. Tank off again. I feel like I'm going backwards here. I put a battery directly to the fuel pump. whoops, should have put a cloth underneath the fuel hose first. But i don't care about a little spilt fuel. the pump works. So it's the wiring (again). My wife suggested I try the pairs of alarm wires (which again, I knew wouldn't help as they were fine). I wonder if I'll ever learn ...

Project Z750 part 5

As my other bike was going in for service I decided to ask them their opinion on the fuel pump getting gummed up with fuel. they said that it's not common, and that the alarm is normally attached to multiple systems common ones being the fuel pump and the tip over sensor (as well as the kill switch) okay, so the next step is to put power to the fuel pump and see if it works. tank off again, up on the bench and create wires to go straight from a battery to the fuel pump connector. once the wires were ready, I attached the ground lead to the fuel pump connector and (making sure I didn't short the battery) touched the live battery wire to the other connector. viola power direct to the pump, but absolutely no sign of life, no humm, no vibration, nothing. okay, are the wires connecting properly? multi-meter from battery terminal to ground wire connection on tank. yep that connection is fine, no resistance. so switch the multi-meter to volts, ground multi-meter probe to same...