Skip to main content

Project Z750 part 31


Right, new braided brake hoses have arrived, so all I have to do is drain the brake fluid, replace the hoses and bleed new fluid through again.

The new hoses went on without a hitch. the kit I ordered (from HEL) had everything it needed; new banjo bolts and crush washers as well as the hoses. It made everything simple.

So I put it all back together, fill up the master reservoir. brake bleed hose onto the nearest calipers bleed nipple and start slowly pumping the brake lever. As I pump the brake lever, lots and lots of bubble appear in the reservoir.

After about an hour of pumping the brake lever (and opening and closing the bleed nipple) I'm getting nowhere. Either this is going to take days, or I'm doing something wrong.

My vote; I'm doing something wrong. So "To the Internet". very few people drain the brake system and then fill up from scratch. Or at least very few post about it. There are some people who use a syringe and push the fluid up from the bleed nipple. But I don't have a syringe. I did find a video of someone using a vacuum bleeder, which made it look really easy, and logically it should work as it sucks the air out of the system through the bleed nipple and it's replaced by fluid from the reservoir.

so off to amazon and one vacuum brake bleed kit ordered.

fingers crossed, it works as easily as the guy in the video made it look.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does "Full Stack" mean?

I've been a software engineer for a little while and I see the term "Full Stack developer" more and more, but what does it mean? Okay, let's walk through what a complete system will comprise of and see if we can work it out. UI First (from the users perspective) is the UI. It's how they interact and really all they care about (as long as the application does what is expected of it. Here is a list of some UI technologies that I know of AWT Swing Qt Android XML MFC and VB OpenGl Vulkan Communication Protocol Next up is the communications protocol (as most applications these days are a thin UI talking to a backend server (we've gone back to the mainframe era!) RPC FTP SNMP SMTP DDS ActiveMq/RabbitMq Network Layer The communications protocol has to be transported between the client and the server somehow, so here we have the network layer IPX/SPX Token Ring Bluetooth USB Server So now we have data being transferred between t

Triathlon Training in the new year

So, my 2019 training has got off to a good start. I'm running regularly and my knees seem to be holding up. I've got a training plan to get me to a middle distance triathlon in September and I am managing the run distances I have set myself. I need to find some longer cycling routes to work and ones with a few hills too, but that shouldn't be a problem. my weekly cycling distance is okay, I just need to move to get my ebike to be doing less of the work. last week I did use my normal commuter bicycle and managed the whole four days as well as my runs, so that was a really good sign. Swimming won't be an issue, I have always found that to be the easy part of a triathlon (not that I'm fast, but I can keep going, and I did manage to swim the distance within the cut off time when I tried the ironman 70.3 last time) The main worry about going longer is my knees. I've got a 10K booked in late January which will test my knees out and I'm hoping that they hold

Project Z750 part 36 - the finalle

I took the bike for a quick test ride round the block and it was fine. it actually cornered now that I had sorted out the tyre pressures. and the brakes all work. I gave the bike a quick look over and noticed that I hadn't marked the rear caliper bolts. (I mark each bolt when I tighten it up to the specified torque so that I can see if it loosens up. so if you look at my bikes you'll see white dots on a lot of the bolts.). As I hadn't marked it, I hadn't tightened it up fully, so I torqued it up and marked it. The bike shop I use managed to fit my in for an MOT before they went off to the Isle of Man Classic TT, so that morning, I got my gear on, wheeled the bike out of the garage, said a quick prayer (I'm not religious, but it can't hurt), and I then put my life in my own hands. I mean that even though I ride every day, I had never before done this much work on a bike. I'd changed braked pads, but never replaced the brake seals, and although I had tor